Puppy Cake manufactures and sells cake mix, ice cream mix, cookie mixes and jello mix, all for dogs!
Woman owned business in Pittsburgh Area.
Follow Puppy Cake on Social Media:
Instagram: @puppycakellc Twitter: @puppycakellc Facebook: facebook.com/puppycakemix
Puppy Cake Mix and Icing Mix – Just add egg, oil and water, bake or microwave. Just add water to the icing. Flavors: Peanut butter (most popular), Pumpkin, Red Velvet, Banana and Carob. Ingredients: rice flour or wheat flour, cane sugar, peanuts or beets or pumpkin or carob or banana flavor, baking powder and salt. Icing: tapioca starch and yogurt powder. Makes a double layer 6 inch cake or 8 cupcakes.
Puppy Scoops Ice Cream Mix– A no refrigeration required powder mix. Just add water and freeze to make ice cream. Serve by the scoop or let your dog lick out of the ice cream cup. Ingredients: whole milk (lactose free), cane sugar, peanuts or carob or natural vanilla flavor or natural maple bacon flavor, gelatin and salt. Flavors: Peanut Butter, Maple Bacon, Vanilla, Carob and Candy Cane.
Smart Scoops Ice Cream Mix - Made with Goat's Milk, just add water and freeze for ice cream for dog's. Smart Scoops are grain free and sugar free. Flavors: Blueberry and Pumpkin. Ingredients: whole goat's milk, blueberry, or beets or pumpkin flavor, gelatin and salt.
Grain-Free Cheesecake Mix– Add water and chill for decadent cheesecake made for your dog. Comes with coconut crumble crust. Ingredients: whole milk (lactose free), bakers cheese (lactose free), cane sugar, peanuts or natural salted caramel flavor, gelatin and salt. Coconut Crumble Crust: coconut, carob and gelatin. Makes a 6 inch cheesecake or 8 cupcakes. Flavors: Peanut Butter and Salted Caramel.
Carob Chip Cookie Mix– Make 18 soft baked carob chip cookies for your dog. Ingredients: rice flour, tapioca flour, cane sugar, carob chips, flaxseed, baking soda, natural vanilla flavor and salt.
Holiday Cookie Mix (Includes a Bone Shaped Cookie Cutter)– Make homemade “sugar” cookies for your dog and get a free bone shaped cookie cutter. Ingredients: rice flour, tapioca flour, cane sugar, whole milk powder, baking soda, natural vanilla flavor and salt. Makes 18 cookies.
Puppy Chillerz – It’s a chilled dessert that is like jello for dogs. Add water and chill for a cold treat that doesn’t melt. Ingredients: gelatin, tapioca starch, cane sugar, peanuts and salt. Makes 10 bone shaped treats. Peanut Butter flavor.
Noteworthy Product Highlights:
- Puppy Cake Peanut Butter is the 2nd best-selling cake mix on Amazon, beating out all but 1 cake mix for people.
- Launching the Puppy Scoops Ice Cream, doubled the business over night.
- Puppy Scoops Ice Cream Mix got second in the "New Product Showcase-Natural Pet" at the Global Pet Expo (largest pet trade-show in the world) in 2015.
- Carob Chip Cookie Mix won the "New Product Showcase-Natural Pet" at the Global Pet Expo (largest pet trade-show in the world) in 2014.
- Puppy Cake Mix appeared on Shark Tank Season 3.
- Won "Best in Show" at Global Pet Expo in 2018.
Owner and Founder Profile
- 33 years old, began the business just after 22nd birthday
- International business degree from Grove City College
- Has 4 dogs (brother/sister pair of Blue Heeler/Boxer/Beagle mixes, Boston Terrier/Pomeranian mix and a Jack Russell Terrier/Miniature Poodle/Boston Terrier/Shi Tzu mix) and 2, three-legged cats.
- Came up with the idea for Puppy Cake while working on a client’s (Pillsbury) advertising material. While looking at those old cake mix advertisements she thought, “Wouldn’t it be great if they made that for dogs?” and that was the lightbulb moment.
- Appeared on Shark Tank, Season 3 on February 10, 2012
- Contact: email@example.com or 412-943-7250
Shark Tank Experience
- Season 3, February 2012
- Sharks Present on the Panel: Mark Cuban, Daymond John, Kevin O’Leary, Lori Greiner (premiere episode) and Robert Herjavec.
- Ask: $50,000 for 25%.
- Result: No deal. However, the exposure was so great, that in the month that the episode aired, Puppy Cake’s sales were higher than the entire year prior. One year later, Kelly was able to work on the company full time. Products went from just 3 items to 16 items. Sales exploded and if Kelly were to go on the show now, she would likely get a deal. What Puppy Cake did in a year at time of filming, it now does in less than 3 weeks. Went from working out of her home to a 5,500 square foot facility that is getting too small.
- Highlights: Kevin O’Leary said, “Who cares if your dog dies, just buy a new one.” Lori Greiner thought that Puppy Cake was a good idea, but in order to have a business, it needed to be a line of products. Mark Cuban called Kelly a “wantrepreneur” because the sales were so low after 5 years of business.
- Behind the scenes: The executive producer, Yun Lingner, contacted the Puppy Cake website and asked to call her. That was the first “interview” and Kelly was fast tracked. Six weeks after that phone call, Kelly was standing in the Shark Tank studio. Shark Tank is filmed in Los Angeles. Contestants to do not get to hang out with the Sharks behind the scenes or get to shake their hands.