Puppy Cake manufactures and sells cake mix, ice cream mix, and cookie mixes that are made especially for dogs!
Woman-owned business in Pittsburgh Area.
Follow Puppy Cake on Social Media:
Instagram: @puppycakellc | Twitter: @puppycakellc | Facebook: facebook.com/puppycakemix
Puppy Cake Mix and Icing Mix – Our cake mixes result in a light, fluffy and moist cake for your dog to enjoy. We believe that our furry friends should be celebrated in style, which is why we wanted to create healthy birthday cakes for dogs. These dog birthday cakes come complete with icing so you can have a dog bakery at home! We keep it simple, so each mix only requires one egg, oil and water. You can microwave or bake our cakes for the best treat your dog has ever had! We assure you that Puppy Cakes are healthy and safe for your dog. Fed in moderation, Puppy Cake is a fun and healthy supplement to your dog’s diet.
Ingredients: rice flour or wheat flour, cane sugar, peanuts, or beets or pumpkin or carob or banana flavor, baking powder and salt. Icing: tapioca starch and yogurt powder.
Makes a double layer 6-inch cake or 8 cupcakes.
Flavors: Peanut butter (most popular), Birthday Cake (with Sprinkles!), Pumpkin, Red Velvet, Banana and Carob.
Puppy Scoops Ice Cream Mix– A pint of Puppy Scoops in any flavor is the perfect gift for dog lovers and pet parents who have dogs and want to feed them specialty dog treats. Dog birthdays should be celebrated with cake and ice cream treats! If you believe your dog deserves the very best, Puppy Scoops is the perfect dog ice cream mix for you to serve to your furry best friend! Just add water, freeze, and enjoy!
Ingredients: whole milk (lactose free), cane sugar, peanuts or carob or natural vanilla flavor or natural maple bacon flavor, gelatin, and salt.
Flavors: Peanut Butter, Birthday Cake (with Sprinkles!), Maple Bacon, Vanilla, Carob and Christmas Cookie.
Hoggin’ Dogs Ice Cream Mix– The Hoggin’ Dogs Ice Creams are not only mouthwatering, they are a healthy treat alternative! Each flavor is Lactose Free and has No Sugar Added so you can feel good about serving it to your dog! Just add water, freeze, and enjoy! Like all our ice cream mixes, Hoggin’ Dogs flavors are completely shelf stable and are able to be stored in the freezer for up to six weeks.
Flavors: Bacon, Cheese, Peanut and Banana
Ingredients: whole milk (lactose free), cane sugar, peanuts or natural banana, cheese or bacon flavor, gelatin and salt.
Smart Scoops Ice Cream Mix - Smart Scoops was developed and created for dogs that sensitive tummies and has no sugar added! Goat's milk is easier for dogs to digest and is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and enzymes. The enzymes in raw goat milk aid the digestion process, making goat milk more tolerable for your dog to digest than cow's milk. Smart Scoops is a completely healthy dessert with none of the bad but still so very good! A pint of Smart Scoops either flavor is the perfect gift for dog lovers and pet parents who have dogs and want to feed them exceptional dog food. Dog birthdays should be celebrated with cake and ice cream treats! Smart Scoops is the perfect dog ice cream recipe for ice treats for dogs that deserve the very best! Just add water, freeze and enjoy!
Flavors: Blueberry and Pumpkin
Ingredients: whole goat's milk (lactose free), pumpkin or blueberry and beet, gelatin and salt
Santa's Cookie & Shortbread Cookie Mix (Includes a Bone Shaped Cookie Cutter)– Our all-natural cookie mixes are made with healthy, dog safe ingredients. These cookies are wheat-free and gluten free. Love the bone shaped cookie on the packaging? That’s why we have include a bone shaped cookie cutter so your pooch can have the cutest treats around!
Ingredients: rice flour, tapioca flour, cane sugar, whole milk powder, baking soda, natural vanilla flavor and salt. Makes 18 cookies.
Flavors: Santa's Cookie and Shortbread
Noteworthy Product Highlights:
- Hoggin’ Dogs Ice Cream mix took home the Best in Show Award for the new product showcase in the Boutique Category at the Global Pet Expo in 2020!
- New products for this year include the Hoggin’ Dogs Ice Cream mixes, the Sample Packs for Puppy Scoops and Hoggin’ Dogs, and now all of our ice cream mixes come in two sizes the traditional pint and now a cup size is also available for purchase
- Puppy Scoops Ice Cream Mix got second in the "New Product Showcase-Natural Pet" at the Global Pet Expo (largest pet trade-show in the world) in 2015.
- Launching the Puppy Scoops Ice Cream has been extremely popular and increased sales overnight.
- Puppy Cake Mix appeared on Shark Tank Season 3
- Won "Best in Show" at Global Pet Expo in 2018
Owner and Founder Profile
- Started the Puppy Cake Brand right after her 22nd
birthday in her one-bedroom apartment in Belleview, PA
- Featured on the Empowered Women in Manufacturing and Business: WAM Podcast Interview with Frances Brunelle in March 2020
- Appeared on the Industrial Sage Executive Series in April 2020
- Featured in a Authority Magazine article in December 2019
- International business degree from Grove City College
- Has 5 dogs and 2, three-legged cats
- The idea for Puppy Cake came to her while working on a client’s (Pillsbury) advertising material. She was looking at those old cake mix advertisements she thought, “Wouldn’t it be great if they made that for dogs?” and that was the light bulb moment.
- Appeared on Shark Tank, Season 3 on February 10, 2012
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-943-7250
Shark Tank Experience
- Season 3, February 2012
- Sharks Present on the Panel: Mark Cuban, Daymond John, Kevin O’Leary, Lori Greiner (premiere episode) and Robert Herjavec.
$50,000 for 25%.
- Behind the Scenes:
The executive producer, Yun Lingner, contacted the Puppy Cake
through its website and asked to set up a phone call with Kelly in
2011. That call led to the first “interview” and Kelly was fast
tracked to appearing on the show. Six weeks after that phone call,
Kelly was standing in the Shark Tank studio. Shark Tank is filmed
in Los Angeles and contestants to do not get interact with the
Sharks behind the scenes.
Unfortunately, Kelly was not offered a deal, but what she received from the experience was infinitely more valuable than money: exposure and knowledge! One month after the episode aired Puppy Cake’s sales were higher than the entire year prior. Kelly says the critiques and advice given to her from the Sharks is what lit a fire in her to turn Puppy Cake into the successful business that it is today. One year later, Kelly was able to work on the company full time. Products went from just 3 items to 16 items. Sales exploded and if Kelly were to go on the show now, she would likely get a deal. What Puppy Cake did in a year at time of filming, it now does in less than two weeks. Puppy Cake is continuing to expand, and the future is looking very bright. Who knows what’s next for Kelly Costello and Puppy Cake!
Kevin O’Leary said, “Who cares if your dog dies, just buy a new one.” Lori Greiner thought that Puppy Cake was a good idea, but in order to have a business, it needed to be a line of products. Mark Cuban called Kelly a “wantrepreneur” because the sales were so low after 5 years of business.